2.04.2006

The power of Feist compels you...


While I wanted to blog this earlier, it just didn't happen, so I'm a week late. Sorry.

Last Sunday, Andy and Anna and I (along with mutual friend Jackie, and Andy's co-worker Bridget) met at Pizza Lucé briefly before the show, and headed to the Fine Line to see Feist. I knew of Feist from Broken Social Scene, and had heard Mushaboom, her "radio hit," but I hadn't heard her solo album. Well, this show completely kicked my ass, and I have been listening to Let it Die non-stop ever since.

Jason Collett, also of Broken Social Scene, opened the show with his band Paso Mino. I supposed they could be considered 'Americana' (Would this be 'Canadiana' then?), which I generally am not a huge fan of. That is, I generally don't choose to listen to it. That being said, I was extremely impressed with Collett and his music. It was catchy, slightly jangly, just poppy enough, with the occasional BSS/Wilco-esque freak out parts. All in all, I loved it. His band was extremely tight, and Feist (who he called 'Feist's back-up singer') joined him on vocals on one tune, and on drums on 'I'll bring the Sun'. It was amazing to see all 5 feet of her rockin' out on drums, and completely kicking ass. Needless to say, my hopes for her set were extremely high...

...and her set did not let me down at all. It was amazing. She started her set with a looped vocal piece, layering gorgeous harmonized vocal line on top of gorgeous harmonized vocal line. It was like a more organic version of Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek. She would use this to great effect on her vocals throughout the show, as well as on guitar, laying a rhythm guitar line that she would base a song on, doing vocals and lead parts on top of it. Her guitar work was phenomenal, flawless yet very real, and her guitar tone was perfect for her style. (Leading me to whisper to Andy "Must...get...a reverb pedal..."). Her band ranged from four piece (Feist on guitar, with bass, drums, and keys) to ten people on stage, including Jason Collett and his entire band. Even with ten people on-stage, it never felt loose or over the top. Clearly they all follow the BSS school of rock.

This was a rejuvenating show, the kind that makes me angry that I don't go to more shows. Also, it was amazing how fucking good the Fine Line sounded. It rarely sounds full on bad there, but it never sounds good. It goes to show how big a difference a great sound person makes.

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Moe said...

I wanted to go to this show, but decided not to after seeing her perform on some late night show a few weeks ago. I wasn't very impressed with the live show.

But now I've been listening to her CD all week and now regret not going to see her.

And I didn't even know that she was in BSS. Guess I learn something new everyday.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Kyle DeLaHunt said...

As impressed as I was with the show, I could see how it wouldn't translate as well on TV. It was a very 'vibe-y' show, where everyone was pretty wrapped up in what was going on, and totally into the show. Something like that doesn't necessarily come across very well on TV.

Speaking of TV, I just saw her perform with BSS on Conan last week. It was phenomenal...they did 'Shoreline', and it kicked all sorts of ass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home